top of page
What is a Deacon?
According to BlueLetterBible.org, a Deacon is:
1. one who executes the commands of another, esp. of a master, a servant, attendant, minister
a. the servant of a king
b. one who, by virtue of the office assigned to him by the church, cares for the poor and has charge of and distributes the money collected for their use
c. a waiter, one who serves food and drink
Are There Deacons in a House Church?
In the bible, we see a list of qualifications for Deacons (1 Timothy 3:8-13) but we see very little about what a Deacon should do. At the very least, Deacons should be lead servants and encourage others by their faithful example to be a servant of all (Mark 9:35), just as Jesus told us. We do not take the popular stance that a primary task for Deacons is be on important committees, oversee the budget, or decide whether the pastor is doing his job properly. We don't see any of these things as necessary or biblically appropriate.
What do deacons do in a house church?
There are many areas of the house church where a Deacon could be quite helpful, staying consistent with what is biblically important.
1. A Deacon in a house church can organize a schedule when there are sick people in the church who ought to be visited.
2. A Deacon in a house church can make sure the people who are poor in the church are being properly cared for.
3. A Deacon in a house church can organize child care or meal distribution for a family in the house church that is temporarily struggling.
4. A Deacon in a house church can be in charge of special offerings or collections taken and make sure they are properly distributed.
"We want to measure the church's sending capacity more than its seating capacity." (Church 3.0 - Neil Cole)
Age, Baptism, Biblical, Building, Budget, Centralized, Children, Communion, Deacons, Denominations, Disagreements, Discipleship, Doctrine, Food, Heresy, House Church, Large Gatherings, Legality, Location, Meeting, Membership, Missionaries, Multiplication, Music, Network, Non-Profit, Pastor, Programs, Purpose, Research, Resources, Safety, Schedule, Size of Group, Small Group, Special Needs, Statistics, Sustainability, Tithe, Women
bottom of page